California Juvenile Record Set Aside
Were you ever sent to the California Division of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) (formerly known as the California Youth Authority (CYA), and commonly referred to as Juvenile Hall or Juvie) when you were a kid? Would you like to forget about the mistakes you made when you were younger for good? One of the most common misperceptions we hear is the belief that your juvenile record gets set aside or sealed on its own when you turn 18. Unfortunately this is a false belief. The fact is that your juvenile record is there for the entire world to see until you take the appropriate actions to set it aside. Luckily the California legislature has enacted Welfare and Institutions Code 1772 which allows you to petition the court to have your juvenile record set aside. If the petition is granted your original juvenile crime(s) will be expunged from your record, and they will show as dismissed on your record rather than as convictions.
Our firm is focuses solely on record clearing laws in California, and we specialize in juvenile criminal record clearing matters. An experienced attorney will work on your case from beginning to end, which will optimize your chance at getting your juvenile record set aside.
NOTE: If you were never sent to the California Division of Juvenile Justice (juvenile prison), but have a juvenile record, then our juvenile record sealing service is probably more applicable to your situation. View our Juvenile Record Sealing page.
No Hidden Fees, No Games:
Beware of any law firm that has hidden fees (example: processing fees, hearing fees, etc.). We are one of the only criminal expungement law firms that offers fixed low pricing, meaning everything is included in our pricing. There will never be any hidden fees, games or suprises down the road with us. Our single low price covers everything from start to finish, period. NO HIDDEN FEES ever. The thing about hidden fees, is they seem to just keep popping up.
Criminal Database Updating After Expungement:
All criminal databases used for employment background checks, both private and public, will update automatically within 30 days after the expungement is complete. You should never pay a company, or a law firm, for any service that claims to "expedite" this updating process. Learn the truth, and avoid scams here.
California Juvenile Record Set Aside Summary
Your juvenile record is visible on any criminal background check done. With over 80% employers conducting background checks today, why would you take a chance and let your youthful mistakes hurt your adult aspirations. Under WIC 1772 we are able to petition the court on your behalf to have your juvenile crimes expunged. If the petition is granted the court will re-open the case, set aside the guilty plea, the Nolo Contendere (no contest) plea, or the factual finding of guilt, and dismiss the original case. From that point forward you will no longer be considered convicted of the juvenile crime(s) in the state of California, and your criminal record will be permanently changed to display a dismissal rather than a juvenile conviction. You can then truthfully tell employers, your family, and all other interested parties that you have not previously been convicted of a juvenile crime.
Here is a list of requirements to be eligible for juvenile record set aside, all requirements must be met:
- 1You must have been sent to the California Division of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) (formerly known as the California Youth Authority, and commonly referred to as Juvenile Hall or Juvie). If you were not sent to a juvenile detention center then you may be able to seal your juvenile record, which offers substantial relief, view our Juvenile Record Sealing page.
- 2You must have been honorably discharged from the California Division of Juvenile Justice, meaning you served out your parole without issue.
- 3Five years must have elapsed since your were honorably discharged from the California Division of Juvenile Justice.
- 4You cannot have been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude as an adult, which are offenses that are intuitively wrong or dishonest. Examples include: theft, violent crimes, drug related crimes, etc. Examples of crimes not considered crimes of moral turpitude include: DUI, trespassing, drunk in public, regulatory offenses, etc. Learn more about crimes of moral turpitude.
If your situation satisfies the above eligibility requirements we can help you. Once you sign up for our services a knowledgeable attorney will begin working your case immediately. The average juvenile record set aside case can take anywhere from 2 – 6 months, depending on how backed up the juvenile court system is. So the sooner you get started, the sooner you can forget your past and embrace the future.
Benefits Of Juvenile Record Set Aside In California
Other than the mental freedom most of our clients feel after getting their juvenile record set aside, there are also many tangible benefits to getting your juvenile record set aside in California:
- 1In almost all cases private employers cannot ask about juvenile convictions that were dismissed under WIC 1772, nor can a conviction that was dismissed be considered for employment purposes.
- 2Your past convictions will now show as dismissed in most national databases that are used for background checks.
- 3You can truthfully and legally answer "NO" on private sector job applications when asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime.
- 4You can greatly increase your earning capacity by becoming eligible for more employment opportunities.
- 5You become eligible for more types of professional licenses and certificates
- 6You can become eligible for better student loans.
- 7You can become eligible for better housing assistance.
- 8You can tell friends and family that you have not been convicted of a crime.
- 9You have the satisfaction of forgetting the past for good and moving forward into a more positive future.
There is no reason to the let the past hold you back any further. We are here to help you forget about the mistakes of your youth, allowing you to move on into a positive and productive future.
Why Hiring An Experienced Attorney Is Critical
It is essential that you speak with an attorney to have the facts of your case analyzed to see if your juvenile record even qualifies for a juvenile record set aside under WIC 1772. Once it is determined that your juvenile record is eligible there is a lot of work that must be done. It is critical that the WIC 1772 petition be done properly and that the appropriate evidentiary support is filed with the petition. All prescribed time constraints must be adhered to in the process as well (e.g., the prosecuting attorney must be given 15 day notice, etc.). Often the presiding judge will calendar a mandatory hearing, wherein the strengths of your petition must be argued. An attorney will attend this hearing for you, and you will not be required to go to court in most instances. The fact is that juvenile record clearing law is fairly complex and the juvenile court system can be difficult to navigate. Having an experienced attorney on your side will not only alleviate any anxiety you might have regarding the process, but will also greatly heighten your chances at success.
Our law firm is dedicated solely to record clearing laws in California, and specializes in juvenile record set aside cases. From the second you sign up for our juvenile record set aside service up until the resolution of your case you will be working with an extremely knowledgeable attorney who will be there to handle everything for you. So isn't it time you took the steps to finally forget the past and embrace the future?
- Analyze your unique case details
- Provide expert legal advice
- conduct necessary legal research
- provide an accurate assessment of your chances
- Prepare / gather supporting evidence
- prepare the motion
- file the motion with the appropriate court
- serVE prosecuting agency
- Pay all court costs
- Pay all filling fees
- Schedule the hearing
- Rospond to any D.A. opposition
- Attend required court hearing on your behalf
- Argue the case at hearing
- obtain a signed court order
- update the criminal databases
- Refile if necessary
- Case follow-up with you
- Help Prepare initial motion
Finally putting your past behind you for good can be a great feeling, allowing you to finally explore your full potential. There is no reason to let the mistakes you made when you were a kid hold you back as an adult any longer. We really appreciate you taking the time to browse our website and we hope that you have found the information to be helpful. We are here to answer any questions you might have and we truly look forward to helping you with your juvenile record set aside in any way we can.
David Huffman, Esq.
Founding Attorney, Fresh Start Law Center